Sir George Monoux, the founder of the College, was born in 1465. In 1506 he was a Warden of the Draper's Company, in 1509 he became the Sheriff of London and later in 1514 he took the title of Mayor. Sir George Monoux was elected to Parliament as a Burgess for the City in 1523. He was a wealthy man who spent much of his time in Walthamstow.
George Monoux (alderman of London and local worthy) erected the Almshouses, associated school and feast ball for the poor of Walthamstow on a former parcel of the St. Mary's Churchyard in 1527 in Walthamstow Village.
The Monoux School operated there for 353 years until moving firstly to West Avenue then to High Street and finally to Chingford Road in 1927. The western end was rebuilt in 1955 following bombing in October 1940.
From 1527 to 1999 the school underwent many changes. From 1659 to 1968 it operated as a grammar school for boys. From 1968 to1986 the school was a comprehensive, and in the late 1960s, it was ranked as the 11th best state school in the country. In 1986 the school became a Sixth Form College and girls were admitted for the first time. In 1993, Monoux became an Incorporated College, which is how it remains today.